Friday, August 17, 2007

Bind and Loose

As a Nigerian, it is not an unwelcoming sight when i walk into a church and everybody is shouting/praying. It is embedded in us. After all, the bible says “Kingdom of Heaven suffers violence, and the violent take it by force”.

I remember taking my 5 months old nephew to a restaurant with a group of non Nigerians. Our waitress sat us next to the piano and despite the loud noise my nephew slept through the whole meal. We were there for 2 hrs. One of my friends commented on how he is such a good baby because he slept peacefully in his car seat and didn’t even stir. I just smiled. The truth is that my nephew has been going to night vigils every Friday since he was a month old. He is used to noise at this age.

Ok, where am I going with this? I have gone to many night vigils or churches where we were asked to intercede for another. I found that many Nigerians when they pray - always bind (Loudly may I add) rather than loose. Eg

“ I bind the generational curses in sister’s lagbaja family” or “ I bind all the enemies that are trying to destroy bro tamedu household”

Definition of bind - to fasten or secure with a band or bond. Or to fasten around.

Definition of Loose - free or released from fastening or attachment

Why do my fellow countrymen bind curses rather than loose? I have had to suppress numerous urges to stop my prayer and tell my neighbor (the person praying besides me) that “Aunty, you do not bind but loose” or maybe you can cast. But I am always afraid that they may see me as an ITK ( I too know) or rather label me as an enemy of progress or Bind me along with whatever they are binding ( I rebuke in Jesus Name - AMEN)

There are times when it is good to bind. Proverbs 3 vs. 3 states “Let not mercy and truth forsake thee: bind them about thy neck; write them upon the table of thine heart: 4 So shalt thou find favour and good understanding in the sight of God and man”


So my fellow Christians, Let us bind kindness and truth like a necklace and wear it as an adornment and find favor with GOD and man. Also, let us loose, cast, throw, command things that are not of God so we will have his blessings because:

“Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven." (Matthew 16:18-19 RSV)

6 comments:

Zoe Believer said...

Hi Sis, how have u been. I loose a torrent of heavenly showers over our lives in Jesus name. Remain blessed and highly favoured

Thirty + said...

O ga ju, this one na another revelation o, Thanks

I bind overflowing love and blessing upon blogville (is that right?!)

Make I go check THE MANUAL

The Life of a Stranger called me said...

wow - you self you too know..lol.. a new learning, never really saw it like that. Thanks allied.

Jennifer A. said...

wow....that's so true...

ahn ahn!!!!

Mena said...

Wow! I have so never thought about it that way. To be honest I tend to bandy the "Bind" word around quite a lot probably because that's what I'm surrounded by. But you learn something new everyday don't you? Thanks for sharing.

rethots said...

I might have to start reading your blog in solitude so people won't think 'm going crazy when i laff.