Monday, February 4, 2008

My Journey

I surveyed my future inheritance from the massive balcony overlooking the northern courtyard in my father’s palace. The dandelions and purple tulips gave the plains a unique color of deep blackish brown. From afar, the plains look dead and blanched but close up it becomes a beautiful place filled with flowers; swaying to the rhythm of the wind. Life is really good at home but I needed to see what was beyond those plains.

My father is a very powerful and wealthy king. His reign and praises is known in the entire kingdom and beyond. As an heir to the throne, I enjoyed all the rights I am entitled to in the palace. One of those rights includes the freedom to see and talk to my father any time of any given day, even when he has other pressing matters to attend. One day I told him how bored I was in the kingdom. I want to see the world and all its glory.

He called me a child for my lack of understanding. “I love you and want you here. Life is terrible down there. It is filled with hunched backs caused by drooped shoulders pulled down by the heavy weight of their self inflicted problems”

“But you are very powerful, why can’t you make them all happy”?

“The problem is that my people do not acknowledge me as their king therefore, they refuse to obey the laws of my land. The few who obey don’t fully understand the law hence the chaos.”

“But daddy, I want to see for myself.” I pouted

With a heavy sigh, “Do your will. Tomorrow you will go on your journey. All I said will be revealed to you.”

I mulled over the conversation I had with my father as I packed all I thought was necessary and compulsory to go on a pilgrimage. I stood before him the next day combat ready. He advised me to leave my luggage behind because it will not be needed. He descended the throne and embraced me, his warmth enveloped my whole being, his fatherly love tugged at my heart and immediately I was ashamed for wanting to leave home. With my eyes closed, he kissed me on the cheeks and bade me farewell.

Suddenly, i was in a dark warm enclosed space. There was not much room for movements but surprisingly I was very comfortable. I heard blurred familiar noise and sounds which put me to sleep. Without warning, I was transitioned from the dark amniotic sac into an infinite cold space with bright lights as coarse voices shouted “dhukha, dhukha*

Woh ladki hai (n)*” the disappointed midwife exclaimed. I heard my mother sob. My entry to the world was like being in a warm swimming pool right after a dive and abruptly you raise your head from the water. It was very uncomfortable. The world felt huge, alien and cold. My mother Lata kissed me and whispered into my ears. “Asha”. My dad Vishnu scolded her for what she did then took me from her, “you should not have named her” he sorrowfully added “she cannot stay” A bucket of cow milk was brought into the room, and he submerged me into the opaque white liquid till I stopped breathing. I had come as hope for them but because I was born a female in Bihar, my faith was death. Since my parents have no money to pay for a future dowry, the problem had to be taken care of now. If they had let me live, I would have lived up to my name - Asha*.

I returned traumatized; into another sac within minutes of leaving the first one. I prayed to be born a second time to a place where females are cherished. My prayer was answered; my new mom Jennifer was overjoyed to see a beautiful baby girl with a head full of dark hair. Frank, my new dad cried the tears of joy when he held his first child. My grandparents spoiled me very much. Life was good in Little Elm, Texas.

I turned one, two, and three, on my fourth birthday Frank passed away. Two years later, Jennifer’s new boyfriend Tom raped me continuously till I turned nine. I passed away the night he held tightly to my neck so I would stop screaming when he thrust his member into me.

I reentered benumb into yet another sac. This time I prayed to be born a male. Again, my prayer was answered and I was born to Nkem and Etim Ebong in Nigeria; a place where male children are a source of pride for the family. My birth was celebrated and I received many gifts for being the first son. I was happy in that household until my parents accused me of wizardry at the age of four. I was beaten and tied to a tree in a nameless street in a town called Esit Eket in Awka ibom for five days without anything to eat. Weak in spirit, I closed my eyes and whispered a message to my daddy “please forgive me; I am ready to come home”. The plains looked even more beautiful with its dandelions and purple tulips when I opened my eyes.

***************************************************
dhukha - Push
Woh ladki hai (n) - She is a girl
Asha - Hope

48 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice...

Toochi said...

very...

The Life of a Stranger called me said...

hmmmm....

dearest which email are you talking about? I am sort of looking forward to hearing from you.

Thirty + said...

Oh look at the genius in this lady.

Rinsola said...

Waoh, see fusion of culture again. No doubt 'bout it you sure write goooooodd. I dey o, and howz the day coming?

Waffarian said...

You raise so many issues, I wouldn't know where to begin....you know, for some reason, I kept seeing this as different scenes all happening at the same time...

And I was just going to say great job!

bumight said...

you never fail to wow me!

Eyin'ju Oluwa said...

Wow...its nice and spooky and saddening and just brilliant. You're too much. You should put that copyright logo after all your posts, dont worry, i'll be the first to report if i see anyone claiming your stories, lol.

As per that movie, no vex o, maybe i was PMS-ing(one excuse that works for everything, lol) but i thought it was nice!!

Queen of My Castle said...

Very interesting. Such creativity. I love how cultured most of your posts are. There's something here for everyone, be it good or bad. I'll say it again, you are a beautiful writer.

Afrobabe said...

wow...another powerful one...

wonder what it really is like to die and come again..

Anonymous said...

omo do you believe in karma?

Ayomipo Matthew Edinger said...

culture. reality. prose. faith. and you amazingly weave them together. there is a book in the making, right? am first in line for a complimentary copy o...

darkelcee said...

BEAUTIFUL!

Today's ranting said...

Wow another master piece from u.Wish the story never ended that soon.Check ma blog I don update.

Writefreak said...

nice piece....it's just an odd world isn't it?

But tell me o chic, how many times have you died and come back to the world? Lol

SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

Wow, I like this.

Ms. emmotions said...

got me thinking, in deep tots like an old woman would do when tryin to think staright....lol

die and come back again?
i dont wanna think too much here o,

cheers dear

Allied said...

@ s.chic - Thanks

@ Toochi - very? Finish it now

@ TLOSCM - The one with the information you requested.

@ 30+ - (blushing)

@ Rinsola - Thanks my sister... I can’t complain. God is good

@ Waffarian - You seem to be the only one who expressed what i was aiming for... Good job

@ Bumlight - Ahh, thanks jare

@ Omosewa - Do you want to be my manager? I can see you stalking blogsville for me jare...Erm, PMSing doesn’t work on girls... just boys... so i will deduct 2 hrs from your pay.

@ Queen of my castle - Thanks o... always looking forward to your comments

@ Afrobabe - well babe, i am the wrong person to ask that question. I am very much alive, haven’t experience death before...

Allied said...

@ Anonymous - No, But i believe every disobident has its punishments and only God is the judge of that.

@ Disgodkidd - If it gets to that, I will even give you the editor's copy sef

@ Anonymous gal - Thanks

@ Darkelee - thanks

Today’s ranting - The story still continues maybe not on paper or my blog but in life. I will 'branch' your page soon

@ Writefreak - it is indeed. Ahh, omo alaye ni mi - i have never died before... The first person usage was just for effect jare..

@ Solomonsdyelle - Thanks

@ ms.emmotions - i would like if you shared your thots, although the dieing and coming again is not really the root of the story

princesa said...

I was carried away by this post.
Really sad life...
The father must have wanted him/her back desperately.

Afrobabe said...

Ever tot of writing an African book???

Allied said...

@ princesa - The father wants her but it is the world that wont let her stay ( free will my friend)

@ Afrobabe - babes, you yab me small, why African book now? I want English even Hindi sef but why African? i guess my english never reach

Jinta said...

for a moment i thot you were writing about jesus, then i realized you were writing about God.

Sherri said...

nicely written!
sad and yet inspirational!

thanks babe.

Anonymous said...

Yet another beautifully delivered masterpiece!

Well done...

Arewa said...

u are very talented.. and i love ur creative writing style. i REALLY THINK U SHLD WRITE A BOOK!

DiAmOnD hawk said...

wow... allied... very very nice

Joy Akut said...

so love what they father said...'Life is terrible down there. It is filled with hunched backs caused by drooped shoulders pulled down by the heavy weight of their self inflicted problems”

u're such a talented sweetheart and i just love to read ur pieces, the wa u blend cultures and ....
i loved this!

and i sencond afrobabe on that question.

Allied said...

@ Jinta – I believe in trinity. So I am talking about both.

@ Sherri – You are welcome

@ Honeywell – NICE!!! That was what I also thought about the story. I also showcased the problems little children go through in different cultures

@ Fumosh – Thanks

@ Arewa – Comments like yours fuels motivation. Thank you very much

@Diamondhawk – Thank you my Terc sis

@ Fantasy queen – I also love that statement… My own don better, a celebrity like you on my page? It’s all good 

For the love of me said...

Great!

Unknown said...

I waz here

little miss me said...

captivating..

Orientatednaijababe said...

You r a great writer...

Unknown said...

UPDATEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Ms. Catwalq said...

I am going to be parked here permanently. Just loved it...
reincarnation
soul
sexual discrimination
sexual abuse
ignorance of fear
love
home
journey

so many topics...absolutely worth the read. so when is the book coming out?

Ms. Catwalq said...

by the way, been meaning to ask about your love for the Desis...care to share? cos I love them too

aloted said...

wow..nice one...first time here and am loving it. good writing!

by the way thanks for stopping by my blog :)

Jennifer A. said...

wow...allied. Ur imagination is so intense and sooooo beautiful. I always love to read anything u write. And it always tells a story of life as we know it.

This was so touching. Everything on this earth is vanity, as I'm learning each day. But there is a place better than what we see right now...

Love, love, love this...

Keep this up, writer!!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Hey girl... your ode is up - thanks again for participating!

Afrobabe said...

see ur head...

where are u from?
No be Africa?
Abeg go write another things fall apart jare.

Joy Akut said...

allied...i am aint i, one of the d rated one eh?.lol

Anonymous said...

i got one word for you.... SIMPLY AWESOME thats two words technically, what can i say, you deserve them both

Eyin'ju Oluwa said...

LOL, you didnt like Aranbada? Tell me what you mean by people can change their destiny? U shd see "irawo osan" no part two yet, so maybe u shd wait, but its a really good one.

Please update!

Anonymous said...

That was interesting!

Anonymous said...

Update...Update!!!

Know ye not that it is your civic duty to blogsville?

N.I.M.M.O said...

First time here and I am loving it.

Powerful story; so wide matter(s) too as Catwalq pointed out. And as Afrobabe said, go write another Things Fall Apart! LOL.

I dey come. Lemme go read everything from the beginning.

Allied said...

@ For the love of me – Thanks!

@ Olamild - I see

@ Little miss me - Thanks!

@ Orientatednaijababe – Thanks my sis

@ Catwalq – Erm just a reminded, I won’t be responsible for any parking tickets you get here while browsing other blogs...

@ Aloted – thanks you are welcome

@ Jaycee – EVERYTHING is vanity – I hope I keep remembering that

@ Daddy’s girl – You are welcome

@ Afrobabe – There are enough “things fall apart” going around – I want to do another “eze goes to school” lol

@ Fantasy queen – You are… and I repeat... you are

@ Sasuke – Aww… thanks very much “a writer who once loved Emma”

@ Omosewa – I mean if you don’t like you situation, I think you can ask God to change it for you. God changed a lot of people name in the bible because he changed their destiny

@ Anonymous – Thanks!

@ Fumosh – I did oh

@ Nimmo – So?

Shubby Doo said...

thanks for pointing me to this post allied.

wow...like catwalq says it conveys so much...the perils of the world are not an easy thing to understand but in the end his love is all that matters...it is our guiding force/light back to him... home